Copyright Guildford Spike WI 2013
CHESTNUT AND CHOCOLATE CAKE
An easy alternative to Christmas pudding
1.250g Dark Chocolate
2. 250g Butter
3. 250g Tinned/Fresh Peeled Cooked Chestnuts
4. 250ml Milk
5. 4 eggs, separated
6. 125g Caster Sugar
1. Grease and base line a 25cm tin (preferably a springform tin). Preheat the oven to 170C/ Gas mark 3.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a pan over a very low heat, stirring all the time. When everything is melted and mixed, take off the heat.
3. Heat the chestnuts with the milk until just boiling, then remove from the heat and mash thoroughly until it is a rough puree.
4. Mix the egg yolks in a bowl with the caster sugar and mix together well. Stir in the chocolate and chestnut puree until there is a smooth blended batter.
5. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and carefully fold them into the batter. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes until just set in the middle with a slight wobble.
6.This cake can be served warm while it is still mousse-like in the centre, or cold when it is more set, both with lots of cream.